Phebe had her first appointment with the Cardiologist at CHEO today. She had three tests - a chest x-ray, an ECG and an Echocardiogram. The somewhat short version is that Phebe has a 5mm (medium sized) hole (vsd - ventricular septal defect) in the lower chamber between the left and right ventricle of her heart. Unfortunately, the blood escaping through this hole is causing her heart to be enlarged. Right now, it is hard to gage these results, because we have no medical history or past tests to compare these results to. Was the heart originally larger and is it decreasing in size as she grows? Or is it the opposite, is her heart becoming more enlarged as she grows? Those are the questions right now. If we knew the answers, the course of action would be a lot more straight forward. There is a test they could do, an MRI of the heart, to figure out the amount of blood escaping through the hole, however, that would mean our little girly would have to go under a general anesthetic... and the Dr said, even though this would help him figure out what was going on, there is a high possibility that (after that test) she will need the open heart surgery anyway. So he is hesitant to know if this is the best option. He doesn't want to have to put her through any more extra procedures, especially ones that involve a general anesthetic. And especially since, as of right now, the open heart surgery is a high possibility. Anyway, all that said, he feels Phebe's case is a little tricky and has decided to take her file and present it at a board meeting on Friday. This meeting includes 5 other cardiologists and 2 cardio surgeons. He wants input from other cardiologists in order to make the right decision. I am thankful that he is a smart man and wants the best for our girl, enough to get other educated opinions before making a decision. And I know that God is in control and Phebe is in the best hands and care possible. For a 2 year old with a vsd, Phebe is growing very well. She is in the 75th percentile for height, she went from the 5th percentile to the 25th percentile for weight, in just 7 weeks! However, unfortunately with her sickness over the holidays she lost a fair amount of that weight gain. But the good news is, she can put on weight and it's only because of her two years spent in the orphanage that she was 'under target' for weight. The other good news is that she has no outward effects of this vsd at all, no blueness, no loss of breath, etc. and for that we are very thankful. However, there are issues that will transpire if her heart continues to enlarge - these issues would manifest themselves more when she becomes a young adult. The Dr also mentioned that having the surgery at an early age would be better - she wouldn't remember much, recovery and healing would be easier and her scar would disappear before she becomes a self-conscious teen! Not that I can ever imagine Phebe being self-conscious, she has such a beautiful happy easygoing spirit. At the end of the day, we want Phebe to have the fullest life possible and if that means having surgery, well we are at peace knowing we will have done everything to give her that. Anyway, that's as much as we know right now. Dr Wong will be calling us on Friday to let us know what conclusion he and the board members have come to and we will move forward from there.